The Bosch Robotics Team is looking for outstanding Masters and PhD level interns to tackle various projects within our research group (http://robotics.boschresearch.com
). For the past two years, we were part of the Personal Robot 2 (PR2) Beta Program, a project the partners Bosch with Willow Garage, Inc., and leading universities such as Stanford University, University of California Berkeley, Massachusetts Institute of Technology and others. Engaging in cutting-edge and open source robotics research, we are developing technologies for future personal service robots. Currently, we are pursuing research in the following areas:
- Shared autonomy and human robot interaction
- Environment modeling and semantic mapping
- Motion tracking and localization using inertial measurements
- Visual odometry, structure from motion, and visual SLAM
- Learning from demonstration
- Localization and mapping in dynamic human environments
- Currently pursuing a M.S., or PhD in CS, or related fields
- Robotics related coursework and experience
- Proven experience developing software using C++(Python is a plus) and ROS
- Knowledge of Linux, and development on Linux systems
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as within a highly motivated team environment.
- Excellent communication skills and proven ability to deliver on challenging software development tasks.
- Experience in one or more of the research areas indicated above
Required Application Materials
- Cover letter
- If possible, two references and/or two letters of recommendation
- Please indicate desired internship time frame
Availability: all year
Location: Palo Alto, CA, USA
About the Bosch Research and Technology Center
The Bosch Research and Technology Center North America (www.Boschresearch.com) with offices in Palo Alto, California, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and Cambridge, Massachusetts is part of the global Bosch Group (www.Bosch.com) The Research and Technology Center North America is committed to providing technologies and system solutions for various Bosch business fields primarily in the areas of sensors, circuit design, wireless solutions, energy materials and technologies, complex simulations, software engineering, human machine interface design, car infotainment, web technologies and autonomous systems such as robotics. In all areas we work in close collaboration with leading US universities, leading-edge industry partners, and other worldwide Bosch research, development, and marketing units.
About Robotics at the Bosch Research and Technology Center
The robotics team at RTC was awarded a PR2 research robot as part of the Willow Garage PR2 Beta Program. As part of our engagement in the ROS open source community, we develop and publish open source software and collaborate with partners such as Willow Garage, the Open Source Robotics Foundation (OSRF), and many others. In addition to open source projects such as the PR2, we also work with our internal partners to develop products for current and future Bosch business.
Number of Openings: several
Degree Level: Master/PhD
Major(s): Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related fields