# of Openings: 1
Degree Level: Ph.D.
Major(s): Computer Vision or related field
Duration: 12 months
Location: Palo Alto, CA, USA
The Bosch Research and Technology Center is looking for highly motivated candidates in the area of computer vision, with an emphasis on visual localization technology. This person will be responsible for driving our robotics Visual SLAM research in ROS with the goal to significantly advance the state of the art. The work will be co-advised by Bosch and Kurt Konolige of Willow Garage (http://www.willowgarage.com/pages/people/kurt-konolige).
About the Bosch Research and Technology Center
The Bosch Research and Technology Center North America (http://www.boschresearch.com/) with offices in Palo Alto, California, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and Cambridge, Massachusetts is part of the global Bosch Group (http://www.bosch.com/). The Research and Technology Center North America is committed to providing technologies and system solutions for various Bosch business fields primarily in the areas of sensors, circuit design, wireless solutions, energy materials and technologies, complex simulations, software engineering, human machine interface design, car infotainment, web technologies and autonomous systems such as robotics. In all areas we work in close collaboration with leading US universities, leading-edge industry partners, and other worldwide Bosch research, development, and marketing units.
About Robotics at the Bosch Research and Technology Center
The robotics team at RTC was recently awarded a PR2 research robot as part of the Willow Garage PR2 Beta Program. We are the only corporate research organization that received a PR2. As part of our engagement in the PR2 Beta Program, we develop and publish open source software and collaborate with Willow Garage and the ROS community. In addition to external projects such as the PR2, we also work with our internal partners to develop products for current and future Bosch business.
Tasks & Responsibilities:
• Drive Visual SLAM research in ROS based on mono-cameras as well as depth-cameras (e.g. Kinect), specifically work on the core problems
o Visual features
o Scalability to large indoor environments
o Computational efficiency to enable implementation on embedded systems
• Actively contribute to ROS by publishing and maintaining open source packages related to Visual SLAM in ROS.
• Work independently to produce and publish world-class robotics research results.
• Collaborate with the scientific research community, the ROS community and Willow Garage.
• Actively facilitate transfer of research results from open source to internal product development.
Knowledge and Skills:
• Ph.D. in computer vision, or a related field.
• Proven record of high quality publications in the field of computer vision.
• Relevant and demonstrated experience in development and implementation of robotics computer vision algorithms.
• Proven track record of developing software applications using C/C++.
• Motivated by research and the process of bringing ideas to a product.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as within a highly motivated team environment.
• Excellent communication skills and a proven ability to deliver on challenging software development tasks.
Required Application Materials
• Cover letter
• Two references or two letters of recommendation
• A recent publication and/or a statement of past experiences
• Downloadable code sample